Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2014

        2014 has been a great year for film and there were a lot of films in contention for my top 10 list, but these were the cream of the crop. With that being said I'm going to bring you my top 10 favorite films of 2014. So without further ado...





10. Boyhood
Boyhood film.jpg

        Wow what can I say about this film that hasn't been said already. This was a such a risky and bold move by director Richard Linkliter who filmed portions of the film every summer over the past 12 years. The film has some amazing performances and it's amazing to see a kid go from being a 6 year old who wants to know what's for lunch to and 18 year old kid who is trying to figure out who he is and what his place in this world is. It's truly a cinematic achievement.




9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Grand Budapest Hotel Poster.jpg

        This is a spectacular film. Wes Anderson does a great job of mixing great humor into a very solid story and without the help of an amazing all-star cast this film wouldn't have been possible. This was a very early contender for Best Picture and without any doubt it 's a film that will get a lot of attention at the Oscars in next couple of weeks.




8. Noah
Noah2014Poster.jpg

        Now I know this film caused a lot of controversy, but it's just a film and we all have to realize that. Darren Aronofsky is an amazing director and his vision for this film was spectacular. It did a really great job of depicting the story of Noah and it was also visually stunning and the performances are stellar and I was pleasantly surprised with the film.




7. Interstellar
A ringed spacecraft, revolves around a wormhole, here depicted as a reflective sphere.

        This was an absolutely brilliant film and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Christopher Nolan is an amazing director and this was film is his version of 2001: A Space Odyssey and it literally had me holding my breath at every turn in anticipation of what was going to happen next. I was so mesmerized by the epic spectacle that was presented to us. Now granted the film was hurt a little by 2013's Gravity in the sense of what can be done with space, but still the film presented a lot of interesting information concerning the relativity theory and I love films that can make me think and this film does just that.




6. The Lego Movie
A construction worker Lego figure running away from a bright light, with other Lego characters running alongside him.

        This was an overall entertaining film. I was really skeptical at first simply because I was wondering how in the world a film would be made about Lego's and boy was I surprised. The is one of the best animated films I have seen since Toy Story 3. Phil Lord and Chris Miller did an amazing job directing the film and brought a lot of humor to it as well.




5. Birdman
Birdman poster.jpg

        This is such a brilliant film, First off I just want to welcome Michael Keaton back to mainstream films and he'll finish off his welcome by getting the Oscar for Best Actor. In the film he pretty much plays himself and portraying his life story of how he turned down a third Batman film and is now trying to resurrect his career. The camerawork in the film is also revolutionary by basically filming the entire film using a one track method where we are always in constant view of all of the characters. This is such an amazing film and whenever you get the chance watch it immediately




4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America The Winter Soldier.jpg

        I'm a huge comic book fan and we are completely piled with such amazing movies and this is one of those. Marvel Studios continues to put out film after film and hit after hit. This film in all honesty doesn't even feel like a comic book film and it plays out more like a 70's spy-thriller. This film right here changed the MCU for the better and I cannot wait to see what Marvel does from here on out.




3. X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men Days of Future Past poster.jpg

       This for the longest time was my favorite film of the year and I thought it had a chance at a few Oscars. Well I may have gotten ahead of myself, but it's still an amazing film. It was a great time travel film and it's story got rid of everything that happened in the god awful films known as X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It welcomed Bryan Singer back to the franchise and I cannot wait to see what he does with X-Men: Apocalypse in 2016.




2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
A chimp brandishes an automatic rifle while astride a rearing horse.

        Listen as a lot of you know I was really looking forward to this film and I was not disappointed. All I need to say about the film is apes on horses with machine guns and you automatically know that the film is going to be awesome. The film has a lot of great performances but the standout one comes from Mr. Andy Serkis who has revolutionized they way we do mo-cap performances and he just becomes Caesar in every way possible. Also I have to give a round of applause to Tony Kebbell who played Koba and just played so well off of Serkis and he made this character his own and I'm excited for whatever this guy is in from here on out.




1. Gone Girl
A man in a blue shirt standing by a body of water, wispy clouds in the blue sky above. A woman's eyes are superimposed on the sky. Near the bottom of the image there are horizontal distortion error lines.

        Here we are to my favorite film of 2014. When I first heard about this film I as somewhat interested and then I heard David Fincher was the director and it immediately became one of my most anticipated films of the year and then you add Ben Affleck (who's going to be Batman) and this is really the first film we get to see him act in before Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and let me just say that he looks jacked up ready to go for that film, anyway that's off topic, This film has a everything you can ask for in a Fincher film form the green tint in the camera to the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, strong female characters and great suspense that continuously builds to the ultimate climax of the film. After the film was over I was just left speechless and I immediately knew that this was my favorite film of the year.


        So ladies and gentlemen 2014 is coming to an end and these are my favorite films of the year. This has been an amazing year for the blog and I cannot thank you all enough for you support and I am looking forward to what 2015 has in store. With that being said what are some of your favorite films of 2014 and what did you think of my list? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment