Sunday, August 9, 2015

My Review of The Gift

        So I recently watched The Gift and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado.........





The Gift 2015 Film Poster1.png

        Simon (played by Jason Bateman) and Robyn (played by Rebecca Hall) are a young married couple whose life is going just as planned until a chance encounter with an acquaintance from Simon's high school sends their world into a harrowing tailspin. Simon doesn't recognize Gordo (played by Joel Edgerton) at first, but after a series of uninvited encounters and mysterious gifts prove troubling, a horrifying secret from the past is uncovered after more than 20 years. As Robyn learns the unsettling truth about what happened between Simon and Gordo, she starts to question: how well do we really know the people closest to us, and are past bygones ever really bygones?

       

        This was actually a pretty surprising film to watch. I hadn't really heard of the film until recently and my expectations were kind of low and that made the film so much better. This was Joel Edgerton's directorial debut and he knocked it out of the park and we could see him direct a lot of films in the future. He also wrote the film and I thought he did a good job of creating a lot of suspense throughout the film and building the characters to a point of where you don't know who you trust in the film. I really enjoyed the performances and I especially liked seeing Jason Bateman stepping out of his element and trying something new by pulling off a great dramatic performance. I will say that at times the film becomes a little too melodramatic and the plot does have a few kinks in the armor. Overall this was a surprising film that despite its minor flaws, it was still an enjoyable film. I give The Gift an 8.5 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of The Gift, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                          Jonah Sparks 

No comments:

Post a Comment