Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My Review of The Fantastic Four Franchise

        With Fantastic Four being released this weekend, I thought it would be fitting to review the other films in the franchise. So without further ado...





Fantastic Four (2005)
Fantastic Four poster.jpg

        Marvel's first family of comic superheroes takes the world by storm as the longest running comic book series in history comes to the big screen. Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic (played by Ioan Gruffudd), who can elongate his body; Susan Storm/Invisible Woman (played by Jessica Alba), who not only can become invisible at will but can render other objects invisible; Johnny Storm/Human Torch (played by Chris Evans), who can shoot fire from his finger tips and bend flame; and Ben Grimm/The Thing (played by Michael Chiklis), a hideously misshapen monster with superhuman strength, together battle the evil Doctor Doom (played by Julian McMahon).

        This is a really terrible film. Look I'm a huge comic-book fan and while The Fantastic Four is not one of my favorite series, I still enjoy a lot of their storylines and this film does no justice to the source material whatsoever. Now granted I know that comic book films need to stand on their own and not base the entire film on one single story because it will alienate the average movie-going audience, but I feel like this film could've have done that an nobody would've noticed. I also thought that Fox chose the wrong man to direct the film. I'm not a fan of Tim Story and the films he did before this one were absolutely horrendous and I honestly don't know how he got this job. The film also relied on too much comedy and not enough serious moments for me to actually care about the film or the characters. I did like the casting choices and I thought that they fit the parts, but the performances were just atrocious and non believable. I will say while the film relied on comedy too much, some of the jokes did work, but that's not what you need for a comic book film. Overall this is an absolutely terrible film and it has no redeeming qualities. I give Fantastic Four a 1 out of 10.



Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer 
Fantastic Four 2 Poster.jpg

        The enigmatic, intergalactic herald, The Silver Surfer (played by Doug Jones and voiced by Laurence Fishburne), comes to Earth to prepare it for destruction. As the Silver Surfer races around the globe wreaking havoc, Reed (played by Ioan Gruffudd), Sue (played by Jessica Alba), Johnny (played by Chris Evans) and Ben (played by Michael Chiklas) must unravel the mystery of the Silver Surfer and confront the surprising return of their mortal enemy, Dr. Doom (played by Julian McMahon, before all hope is lost.

        If you thought the first film was bad, then you probably haven't seen this film. It pretty much takes the source material and literally takes a massive dump on it and I mean it. I mean they turn a haunting figure like Galactus into a green and brown poop cloud instead of the the god-like figure he is in the comics. They also destroy the mythology behind the Silver Surfer and they make him look like a pansy. The performances are just absolutely dreadful and the directing isn't much better. The plot of the film is just so confusing and it doesn't make a lot of sense. I will say thet besides the Galactus poop cloud, the special effects in the film are better than its predecessor, but not by much. Overall this is a terrible comic book film and a really terrible sequel. I give Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer a 1 out of 10.


Overall Franchise Rating: 1 out of 10

        So ladies and gentlemen what do you think of the other films in the fantastic four franchise, what would you rate the other films, are you exicted for the fantastic four reboot and what did you think of my reviews? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment