Tuesday, February 17, 2015

87th Academy Awards Who I Want to Win

        With the 87th Annual Academy Awards less than a week away, I figured I would let everyone know who I am rooting for at this year's awards presentation as well as an explanation to as to why I chose the nominee (NOTE: These are not my official picks (those will be out on the night of the Oscar's there's a lot can happen in a month and my mind isn't completely made up in certain categories) though I may already go ahead and pick a couple that I have my mind made up on. So without further ado...





87th Oscars.jpg


Best Visual Effects

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
This film did an outstnading job of mixing cgi characters into real-world situattions. I also have to credit to Andy Serkis and his team at The Imaginarium Studios for creating the apes and mkaing them look so realistic.

Best Film Editing

Boyhood – Sandra Adair

The editing in this film is flawless. She was able to make smooth transitions leading into another year of Mason's journey through Boyhood and you honestly cannot tell that there is editing in the film because it is just so amazing.

Best Costume Design

The Grand Budapest Hotel – Milena Canonero
The costumes in the film are really spectacular and it really gave off the feel that you were in 1930's Europe.

Best Makeup & Haristyling

Foxcatcher – Bill Corso and Dennis Liddiard
One of the mian reason's why I want this to win is because this duo helped completely transform Steve Carell and you can barely recognizer that it is him.

Best Cinematography

Birdman - Emmanuel Lubezki
Emmanuel Lubezki is such a talented cinematographer and the way he shot this film was spectacular. it was a huge risk by shooting this film on one track and it worked to perfection

Best Production Design

Interstellar – Nathan Crowley (Production Design); Gary Fettis (Set Decoration)

You may wonder why I want this to win be cause all it is is space, but these two were able to make other designs to really set the point home. The way they designed the inside of the shuttle, to the snow planet to the water planet and to the ending set which is just remarkable.

Best Sound Mixing

Whiplash – Craig Mann, Ben Wilkins and Thomas Curley

This film was able to mix different sounds throughout the entire movie. Also the soft drumbeat in the background was pretty haunting and it fit in well with the film.

Best Sound Editing

Interstellar – Richard King

One of the main  reasons why I want this to win becuase it did something that last year's winner Gravity didn't do. In Interstellar there was no sound in space and the editors were able to edit that very well.

Best Original Song

"Glory" from Selma – Music and Lyric by John Legend and Common

I'm a huge John Legend fan and a huge Common fan and this song is pretty powerful. It has a strong message and I think the Academy will at least give Selma this award.

Best Original Score

Interstellar – Hans Zimmer
The score for Interstellar was simply fantastic and it kept you on the edge of your seat. It also had a ominous tone to it that made you feel like there is hope in the world, but also danger lurks around every corner.

Best Animated Short Film

Feast – Patrick Osborne and Kristina Reed
The only reason why I am picking this is because it is the only one out of the nominees that I have seen and I really enjoyed it.

Best Live Action Short Film, Best Documentary-Short Subject and Best Documentary-FeatureBest Foreign Language Film

I don't really know a lot about the nominees in each of these films, so I can't really root for something that I don't know a lot about.

Best Animated Feature

How to Train Your Dragon 2 – Dean DeBlois and Bonnie Arnold
The only reason why I am picking this is because The Lego Movie didn't get nominated for this category. I really did enjoy How to Train Your Dragon and it like it was more than an animated film

Best Adapted Screenplay

Whiplash – Damien Chazelle from his short film of the same name

This screenplay was amazing, but in all honesty I feel that it shouldn't be in this particular category, but since Damian Chazelle decided to make his own short film into a feature length film the academy puts it in this category, but I really do that this wins.

Best Original Screenplay

Nightcrawler – Dan Gilroy

Do I think this has a shot to win, no, but I would to see it win because Nightcrawler was an amazing movie at it was left out of several categories and for it to win this would be sweet revenge, but going up against Boyhood and Birdman will be tough.

Best Supporting Actress 

Emma Stone – Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) as Sam Thomson
I'll be honest I have a huge crush on Emma Stone so there is a little bias towards her, but she did give an amazing performance in Birdman. The award is going to Patricia Arquette (that's a no-brainer), but seeing Emma Stone get the award would be pretty cool.

Best Supporting Actor

J. K. Simmons – Whiplash as Terence Fletcher
Not only is he the one I want to win, but he will win the award. His performance in Whiplash is haunting and brilliant at the same time. J.K. Simmons is an underrated actor and he finally proves how good he is by winning this award.

Best Actress

Rosamund Pike – Gone Girl as Amy Elliott-Dunne
This is another one I'm biased towards simply because Gone Girl was my favorite film of the year and her performance was unbelievable. This award however is going Julianne Moore and rightfully so, but seeing Pike win the award would be pretty great to see.

Best Actor

Michael Keaton – Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) as Riggan Thomson / Birdman
I absolutely loved Birdman and Michael Keaton gives a career-defining performance and he absolutely deserves the award. He's got competition with Eddie Redmayne who also gives an amazing performance so whoever wins I'll be ok with, but I'm rooting for Keaton to bring home the gold.

Best Director

Alejandro González Iñárritu – Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
I absolutely loved Birdman and Iñárritu did an amazing job with this film. He created a brilliant story and got the best performances out of his actors as three of them received nominations this year. I feel like he deserves it, but it'll be tough going against Richard Linklater who did an amazing job with Boyhood so it'll be interesting to see this race play out.

Best Picture
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) – Alejandro González Iñárritu, John Lesher and James W. Skotchdopole
This is another film that I am biased towards because out of the nominees this was my favorite film of the year and it was just a fantastic film. Boyhood and The Grand Budapest are also contenders and it wouldn't surprise me if either of those films won.

        So ladies and gentlemen who are you rooting for at this year's Academy Awards which air on February 22nd at 8:30pm on ABC and what do you think of the people I'm rooting for. Let me know in the comments section and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment