Thursday, January 30, 2014

86th Academy Awards Who I Want to Win

        With the 86th Annual Academy Awards just a little over a month away, I figured I would let everyone know who I am rooting for at this year's awards presentation as well as an explanation to as to why I chose the nominee (NOTE: These are not my official picks (those will be out on the night of the Oscar's there's a lot can happen in a month and my mind isn't completely made up in certain categories) though I may already go ahead and pick a couple that I have my mind made up on . So without further ado...




86th Academy Awards poster.jpg


Best Visual Effects

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug- Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, and Eric Reynolds
Peter Jackson has done a masterful job with the realm of middle earth for the past 14 years and this film is just full of breath-taking visual effects centered on the dragon Smaug.

Best Film Editing

12 Years A Slave- Joe Walker
The film overall is amazing and the editing is just so crisp and clean and it makes the film look breath-takingly beautiful.

Best Costume Design

American Hustle- Michael Wilkinson 
the costume design on this film were just absolutely amazing and it really made you feel like you were in the 1970's.

Best Makeup & Haristyling

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa- Stephen Prouty
This is a big time off the wall choice but the makeup to make Johnny Knoxville look like an 86 year-old man is just magnificent but in the end this is probably the biggest underdog at the Oscars this year and plus how cool would it be for a Jackass film to win an Oscar.

Best Cinematography

Gravity – Emmanuel Lubezki
Gravity is one of the most suspenseful film I have seen in a while and one of the most technological advanced films I've seen. Also Emmanuel Lubezki absolutely deserves this award after so many years of coming so close.

Best Production Design

American Hustle – Judy Becker (Production Design); Heather Loeffler (Set Decoration)
As I stated with costume design the same goes for the production design.

Best Sound Mixing

Inside Llewyn Davis – Skip Lievsay, Greg Orloff, and Peter F. Kurland
The music in this film is just so perfect and the right music is in the perfect places in the film.

Best Sound Editing

All Is Lost – Steve Boeddeker and Richard Hymns
This film has some of the best sound effects in the world for such a great movie.

Best Original Song

"Let It Go" from Frozen – Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
This is one of the best songs of the year in one of the best films of the year.

Best Original Score

Saving Mr. Banks – Thomas Newman
This film has an amazing score that keeps you in the movie plus music and awards are in the Newman family bloodline.

Best Animated Short Film, Best Live Action Short Film, Best Documentary-Short Subject and Best Documentary-Feature

I don't really know a lot about the nominees in each of these films, so I can't really root for something that I don't know a lot about.

Best Foreign Language Film

The Hunt (Denmark) in Danish – Thomas Vinterberg
I really enjoyed this film mainly because of Mads Mikkelsen whose performance kept me in the film

Best Animated Feature

Frozen – Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, and Peter Del Vecho
This is one of my absolute locks to win this year. This is one of the best animated films I have ever seen and there's really no competition for Frozen so I believe it will win.

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Wolf of Wall Street – Terence Winter
This film has a lot of unnecessary criticism for people and it is an underdog in every single category

Best Original Screenplay

Her – Spike Jonze
This is one of best original stories I have ever seen and it there is none better and this is another one of my locks

Best Supporting Actress 

Jennifer Lawrence – American Hustle as Rosalyn Rosenfeld
Jennifer Lawrence is my favorite actress of all-time and her performance in American Hustle is amazing, but she is in pretty big competition with Lupita Nyong'o from 12 Years A Slave

Best Supporting Actor

Jared Leto – Dallas Buyers Club as Rayon
This is one of the best performances I have ever seen and while the other 4 nominees have a shot, the chances of them winning are very slim to none and Jared Leto is another one of my locks

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock – Gravity as Dr. Ryan Stone
I love Sandra Bullock and her performance in Gravity is amazing especially since she's the only female in the film and basically the only actor in the film.

Best Actor

Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club as Ron Woodroof
This has been a reemerging year for Matthew McConaughey who has had an outstanding year and it would be icing on the cake to win the award this year, but he also has Chiwetel Ejiofor breathing down his neck.

Best Director

David O'Russell- American Hustle
It's a directors job to get the best performances out of his actors and David O'Russell does just that. For the 2nd year in a row his film has produced a nominee in all four acting categories and that is one of the greatest achievements in film history and I would be shocked if he doesn't win so he is another lock for me.

Best Picture

Dallas Buyers Club – Robbie Brenner and Rachel Winter
This one of the best films I have ever seen and I recently went back and watched it again in theaters and it is just magnificent and it deserves to win, but this year's race is going to be competitive with thee other contenders in 12 Years A Slave, Gravity and American Hustle.

        So ladies and gentlemen who are you rooting for at this year's Academy Awards which air on March 2nd at 8:00pm on ABC and what do you think of the people I'm rooting for. Let me know in the comments section and let your voice be heard.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment