Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2013

        As I said in my Top 10 Least Favorite Films of 2013 I believe that 75% of the films to be released in 2013 were from good to memorable. Well with that being said Its time that I bring you my Top 10 Favorite Films of 2013. So without further ado.






10. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Anchorman 2 Teaser Poster.jpg

        This film was just hilarious. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard during a movie and the good thing is that this film doesn't take itself to seriously and it shows through the actors performances. I was glad to see the news team get back together as well as Will Ferrell and director Adam McKay who have amazing chemistry.






9. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug theatrical poster.jpg

        This film was magnificently breathtaking. I'm a huge fan of The Lord of The Rings trilogy and I'm a fan of The Hobbit films as well. It was awesome to take a journey back to middle-earth. It was visually stunning and Smaug has officially become one of the most memorable and greatest villains of all-time. I'm looking forward to final installment in the trilogy which is entitled The Hobbit: There and Back Again.






8. Rush
Rush UK poster.jpeg

        Being a fan of auto racing, this film was exactly what I wanted to see. The performances by Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are very award worthy (more so the latter). When  I came out of the theater I said to myself that if the Oscars were held that day then this film was going to win Best Picture and I have a feeling that it has a decent shot of getting nominated this year.






7. The Place Beyond The Pines
The Place Beyond the Pines Poster.jpg

        As I said with Rush on winning Best Picture coming out of the theaters, I did with this one as well. This film has some great performances from Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Eva Mendes and Ray Liotta. The storytelling of this film is amazing and I absolutely love this film.






6. Prisoners
Prisoners2013Poster.jpg

        Walking into this film I had the doubt that this film would be really great and I though it was going to be predictable, boy was I wrong. This film kept me guessing and it put me on the edge of my seat the entire time. When this film received positive reviews (as well with me giving it a 10) it officially marked the beginning of Oscar Season. The performances of Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal are some of the best I have ever seen out of both men's careers.






5. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Catching-Fire poster.jpg

        What can I say about this film that you haven't already heard. This film surpasses the first film in the series in every single way. I didn't read the books so I was left guessing what was going to happen the entire time. Jennifer Lawrence gives another stunning performance and her career is on fire right now. The supporting cast in the film is excellent and the costume design and visual effects are just simply amazing.






4. Star Trek Into Darkness
The poster shows a flaming starship falling towards Earth, with smoke coming out. At the middle of the poster shows the title "Star Trek Into Darkness" in dark grey letters, while the production credits and the release date being at the bottom of the poster.

        I'm a huge sci-fi fan and I'm huge fan of Star Trek (not huge enough to be a Trekkie though) and this film is one of my favorite in the Star Trek movie franchise. This film had everything that you love about Star Trek with humor, action and heart. It was great to see the cast from the first film reunite to make another amazing film. I can't wait til the already confirmed third film and it will be sad to see J.J Abrams go as the director (he's leaving so that he direct one of my favorite franchise of all-time in Star Wars).






3. Iron Man 3 
Iron Man 3 theatrical poster.jpg

        Now I know people had a lot of problems with this film but that doesn't matter because I loved the film. I'm huge fan of comics and right now Marvel is on a roll and looks to be unstoppable. Iron Man 3 was a great addition to the comic book film genre and it is currently the 2nd highest grossing film in the genre (behind Marvel's The Avengers), it also won the 2013 Worldwide Box Office by grossing over $1.2 Billion and it is the 5th highest-grossing film of all-time only behind Avatar, Titanic, The Avengers and Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2.






2. Thor: The Dark World
Thor - The Dark World poster.jpg

        As I said with Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World helped continued Marvel's roll through the Box Office. As a comic book fan Thor is my favorite Marvel superhero simply because I'm in love with Greek Mythology. Anyway this film was awesome and an excellent addition to the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). Also when one of the villains in the film is getting cheered then you know you have a great movie and it all thanks to the brilliant acting of Tom Hiddleston.






1. Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim FilmPoster.jpeg

        When you have giant robots facing off against giant monsters, then sign me up. I fell in absolute love with this film from the opening scenes. It is one of the very few films that to get the full experience you need to see it in 3D. Also I'm a huge fan of director Guillermo del Toro and his vision is a cinematic masterpiece. Another tidbit I seriously don't see how this film lost its opening weekend Box Office race to Grown Ups 2 (which was one of mt least favorite films of 2013).



        So ladies and gentlemen what do you think of my Top 10, are there any surprises whether it be in the top 10 or films that you think were snubbed and what are your Top 10 favorite films of 2013? Let me know in the comments section and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                                         Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment