Sunday, May 10, 2015

My Review of The D Train

        So I recently watched The D Train and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado...





The D Train poster.jpg

        All his life, Dan Landsman (played by Jack Black) has never been the cool guy. That's about to change - if he can convince Oliver Lawless (played by Marsden), the most popular guy from his high school who's now the face of a national Banana Boat ad campaign, to show up with him to their class reunion. A man on a mission, Dan travels from Pittsburgh to LA and spins a web of lies to recruit Lawless. But he gets more than he bargains for as the unpredictable Lawless proceeds to take over his home, career, and entire life.


        This was a pretty bland movie. Now we are all used to seeing Jack Black in comedies and he does a good job with those films and when he does dramatic roles he ends up failing miserably. In this case however he actually does a really great job at nailing the key dramatic pieces and blends in his typical humor in with it as well. Now the film advertises as a comedy and it is too a point, but there are a few dramatics scenes where he just nails them. Marsden on the other hand just ruins the movie. I'm a fan of James Marsden and I think he's a great actor, but the last few films I've seen him in (Walk of Shame. The Best of Me and The Loft), he just mails in the performance and he does the same in this film and I think the film would've been better without him in it and that hurts to say that because he seems like a really good guy and he is good actor i just wish he would stop mailing in performances and quit trying to hard. Now the film does have a dark tone to it and when comedies do that then they tend to be really good and this film doesn't capitalize on that aspect. I did like a lot of the jokes in the film, but some just felt unnecessary and out of place. I also thought the
dialogue was a little choppy, but some of it did work for me. Overall this film had the potential to be a great dark comedy and it just fails and end's up being a film that was really boring at times. I give The D Train a 2.5 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of The D Train, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment