Saturday, December 19, 2015

My Non-Spoiler Review of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

        So I recently watched Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and I'm here to bring you my non-spoiler review. If you want to check out my spoiler review then you can find that here So without further ado...





Star Wars The Force Awakens Theatrical Poster.jpg

        Thirty years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, the galaxy faces a new threat from the evil Kylo Ren (played by Adam Driver) and the First Order. When a defector named Finn (played by John Boyega) crash-lands on a desert planet, he meets Rey (played by Daisy Ridley), a tough scavenger whose droid contains a top-secret map. Together, the young duo joins forces with Han Solo (played by Harrison Ford) to make sure the Resistance receives the intelligence concerning the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker (played by Mark Hamill), the last of the Jedi Knights.

     

        This was a fantastic film. Now right off the bat this is going to be a hard review because to explain certain things you have to spoil the movie itself and that just won't happen. Anyway being a Star Wars fan I was let down by the prequels (granted as a kid I loved them and as I got older I grew to hate them) so basically the last good Star Wars came out in 1983 which has been a long wait for most. All I can say is that JJ Abrams did it, he did it. He himself is a fan and this film is pretty much dedicated to the fans while also bringing a brand new audience and I can't thank him enough for that. The performances in the film are just absolutely perfect and none moreso than Daisy Ridley who is the star of the film and her character "Rey" will be very recognizable for years to come and that's mostly due to Daisy Ridley. Also, the performance of Adam Driver is amazing and the way he was able to make this character more than just a bad guy and more aspects and traits that normal villains do just made for a better film. John Boyega was the perfect choice for Finn and I thought he brought a lot of humor to the role as well as a few emotional aspects that I myself did not expect. Oscar Issac also has a lot of great moments in the film and he is going to be a character that will get a lot more screen time in future films which is something that was lacking in this film. Finally Domhnall Gleeson was brilliant as General Hux and he brought a lot of emotion and power to the role and he is a character that I myself am very interested in seeing develop throughout the trilogy.

        The return of the original cast was the selling point of this movie and it payed off. Harrison Ford was so good as Han Solo again and he actually looked like he was having fun with the character and seemed really committed to the role. Carrie Fisher had a few moments as well and most of them were just emotional and you really felt everything she has been through in the past 30 years. There was a lot of nostalgia in the film with so many references to the original trilogy and if you haven't watched those film then you'll be a little lost on the inside jokes. Speaking of jokes the humor is perfect in every frame of the film. It wasn't forced like it was in the prequels and it was more abundant in this film more than in the original trilogy. A lot of characters each had their comedic moments and there are a few jokes from people you'd least expect. One of those was BB-8 who was mainly marketed as the character we as an audience would fall in love with and boy did I. The way they were able to put real emotion behind a droid is just fantastic and he might be my second favorite character in this new trilogy behind Kylo Ren. The visual effects are smooth and breathtaking and the use of practical effects was a massive plus because you were able to feel like you were on set with the characters and none of it felt or looked fake. If there was a disappointment in the film it comes in the form of Captain Phasma who was built up to be this ruthless villain that could take on anyone and she was barely in the film and she is made to seem weak.

          As for the story which if you know me is a big part of anything I do and if a film, game, book or whatever doesn't have a compelling story then you can't sell me on anything and I'm proud to say this is a fantastic story. Now it does borrow a lot from the original trilogy in some scenes and the basic outline follows Episode IV: A New Hope, but there is so much originality to the film that this feels like a standalone film more than sequel. It somewhat reboots the franchise, but only to the point where the prequels don't matter or have as much weight in the film. The story has its flaws, but so does every film and there are even a few minor flaws in the film outside of the story, but I won't get into those in this review, but those flaws weren't enough for me to not like the film. Overall this was a the film I wanted the prequels to be and this is a prefect statement to the world that Star Wars is back in business and it's fun film for everyone to watch and even if you aren't a Star Wars fan I encourage you to watch it. I give Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens a 10 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment