Saturday, December 19, 2015

My SPOILER Review of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

        So I recently watched Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and I'm here to bring you my spoiler review. Let me be clear, if you have not seen the film, then please do not read this until you see the movie or if you honestly don't care about spoilers then read on. This is the way this review will go, I will list a lot of the major plot points and what I truly thought about them and what they might mean for the general storyline, plus I'll go over the predictions I've been making for a while So without further ado...





Star Wars The Force Awakens Theatrical Poster.jpg

        1. Kylo Ren is actually Ben Solo
I called this from the moment go. When Disney announced the older novels, games and other various items weren't cannon (the prequels and the the clone wars tv show are cannon), they said that while they wouldn't base a movie around one of those stories, but that they can borrow elements from them. That and the fact that every Star Wars movie has always been about the Skywalker family and it made sense for Han and Leia's son/daughter (in this case son) be in the film. I also like the fact in how they kept him parallel to how Jacen (their son in the novels) was seduced by the dark side and was a conflicted individual in doing so. Also instead of Jacen they used the name Ben which is actually the name of Luke's child in the novels so Kylo Ren is a mixture between the two, plus if you replace Ky with So you get Solo and Ren rhymes with Ben so it's sorta a little nugget that I didn't even think of .

        2. Han Solo is dead
Once again this was something I have been predicting for a long time. It made sense for Han Solo die in this film for a various amount of reasons. One reason is that while their was just a little bit of good left in Ben, the only way he could complete his turn to the dark side was to kill the one thing holding him back emotionally and that was his father. Another reason is the fact that Harrison Ford hates the character of Han Solo. He has said that many many times  and he even wanted him to die in both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. George Lucas was able to convince him to come back for Jedi to complete the story and he wanted Han and Leia to have a happy ending at the end of Jedi. The reason Harrison Ford came back was because he has been saying it was because of a good script and it was a good script because Han Solo dies. I am however sad to see the banter between him and Chewbacca gone, but ultimately this death just set-up the next two films.

       3.Luke Skywalker is in the film for 1 minute
No I'm not exaggerating that at all. Not only does he appear on screen for 1 minute, but he doesn't have a line of dialogue. I'm not surprised by this at all simply because he wasn't in the marketing and the entire film is based around finding Luke. Plus it adds to the mystery of what Luke has been doing since he vanished. I'm really anxious and excited to see more of Luke in the next film now that he has been found and I can't wait to see him train Rey.

        4. Who are Rey's parents
The constant theme throughout the entire film was wondering and trying to figure out who Rey's parents are. The only definitive information we have is that when she was a little girl she was abandoned on Jakku by her family and she has been waiting on them ever since. One possible clue comes in the form of her force powers. For someone who has never been trained in the ways of the force, she can handle things on her own and even took Kylo Ren to school. Also another clue is that when she touched Luke's lightsaber she was sent in a flashback where we saw Luke as he is more than likely escaping and we also see the Knights of Ren destroying the rebels and then we get the shot of Rey crying out to her parents as they leave her behind on Jakku. Maz Kanata also tells Rey that the lightsaber is calling to her almost as if the lightsaber is meant to be hers. With that all being said all signs point to Luke being her father becasue he wanted to leave Rey on a far away planet while he disappeared because he knew he couldn't keep his daughter with him. One thing to counter the whole argument is that fact that you can't tell me that Han and Leia didn't know Luke had a kid and I mean someone would've known if he did so that's the argument against it. I thought she might the movie version of Jaina Solo (Han and Leia's daughter in the novels), but looks like I was wrong about that but who knows. All I know is that we will probably find out this answer in Episode VIII.

        5. Luke vanished
This was a rumor that picked up a lot of momentum after the last trailer was released and some people built upon that with the fact that he trained the Knights of Ren before the were seduced by Supreme Leader Snoke so then he vanished. This wasn't really a spoiler just something that I got right in my predictions.

        6. Supreme Leader Snoke is......????
Ok so the thought going into this was that Snoke would reveal that he was Darth Plagueiss and while they didn't reveal that, there is still a lot more evidence to back that theory. I'm glad they didn't reveal that because they didn't want to give everything away when there are two more movies coming out.

        There were a lot of great moments and great characters in this film and I'm glad that Star Wars is back for good. I know I have my nitpciks just like everyone else, but for me they are minor and we can't harp on them too much due to the fact that Episode VIII and Episode IX are on the way in the next four years. I know this wasn't a true spoiler review, but these are just the big topics that everyone will be talking about for a long time. I hope you all enjoyed both of the reviews of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens and I hope you all enjoyed the movie. 

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment