Monday, October 20, 2014

10-20-14 Movie News

        Hello ladies and gentlemen, here is some movie news with some of my thoughts and opinions (which will be in BOLD print). So without further ado...


(NOTE: All of these stories come from comingsoon.net)


        Last week, Warner Bros. laid all their cards on the table when they fully revealed their DC comics movie slate, going from 2016 to 2020, and with it came confirmation on a story that had been downplayed for months - former "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa is the King of Atlantis, Aquaman. Following the reveal, Momoa was present for a panel at Walker Stalker Con in Atlanta, Georgia where he was able to finally speak about the role. "I was asked to play it. You know, you audition and stuff like that, but the fact is you've just got to keep it quiet," Momoa said (via ComicBook.com). "You know what I mean, I was just trying to respect Warner Bros. and everyone's wishes. I'm really, really happy that I don't have to be quiet anymore, because that's really hard for me."

        The Aquaman solo film is set for release on July 27, 2018, but Momoa claims he knows just as much about that film as the rest of us do. "I don't know the director. I know about as much as you guys know. I know the Justice League will come first. That's really what we're going to focus on. I'm not sure if it will be [set] prior to Justice League or post. I don't know too much about it. It will probably be where he came from. It will probably be his whole origin story I would think... So I know we're going to do Justice League first."

        Momoa also spoke about his Polynesian heritage and how that will play into his preparation for the role."I've rode some dolphins before, so I can pull on that. I did go to school for Marine Biology, but the cool thing is... the greatest thing for me is that Polynesians, our gods, Kahoali, Maui, all these water gods, so it's really cool and a honor to be playing a [water] character. And there's not too many brown superheroes, so I'm really looking forward to representing the Polynesians, the natives... My family are some of the greatest water men on earth. I'm not, but I'm going to go train with them. But it's really an honor just being a Polynesian. And water is the most important thing in this world and we all know it. It's cool be a part of DC's universe. I'm really excited to be with Warner Bros., and hopefully everyone likes it. And Zack Snyder's a genius, so I'm really excited to be hanging out with him." It's long been reported that Momoa will make his big screen debut as Aquaman in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which debuts in theaters on March 25, 2016. Momoa will return as the king of Atlantis for Justice League Part One on November 10. 2017.

        I'm glad that this news is finally out. Momoa is a very talented actor and the funny thing is that he was rumored to be in the running for Batman at one point so he would have been in the film regardless. I honestly think that he is perfect for the role and I think he'll do a great job with the character and actually make Aquaman cool. I'm also really curious to see how they handle his story and to see who the director is.



        Last week, the first of two gigantic stories broke when it was revealed that Robert Downey Jr. would be reprising his role of Tony Stark in the upcoming Captain America 3, which will launch elements of the "Civil War" storyline into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now, speaking with Yahoo!, Downey was asked about the prospect of him appearing in the film, saying: "Yeah, that sounds very exciting." When asked if he could comment further, teased: "If I do, I'll just regret it... It's gonna be huge, whatever it is." Jeremy Renner previously teased that he could be suiting up for Captain America 3 as well. Though Clint Barton was deceased at the time of the "Superhuman Civil War" in the comics, his protege Kate Bishop, using the name Hawkeye, was very much a part of the action and sided with Captain America.Anthony and Joe Russo, the sibling director pair behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier, are directing the May 6, 2016 film, which features a screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely and, of course, the return of Chris Evans as the star-spangled superhero.

        Robert Downey Jr. you sneaky man. Now like he said it hasn't been confirmed but it is looking more and more likely that the story is true. Listen when I heard the story I screamed at the top of my lungs in joy because I have been dying for this storyline so I'm hoping that it is true.



        Hasbro Studios has givent the green light to an animated My Little Pony movie for release in 2017, reports Variety. Just like the upcoming Jem and the Holograms, the film will be produced through Hasbro's new Allspark Pictures label. Joe Ballarini is writing the script for My Little Pony. Megan McCarthy, whose credits include "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic," will serve as co-executive producer on the movie. "We will continue to make big tentpole movies with our studio partners," says Hasbro Studios president Stephen Davis, referring to films like Transformers and G.I. Joe, "but there is another set of movies where we feel we have an opportunity to have a bit more control over the budgeting, financing, calendarization, marketing and creative of our films. There are new economic models that fit certain films." He added that Hasbro is in discussions with studios to release the film "on the broadest possible number of screens. We're very excited about the potential of that movie."

        You know after hearing this story I'm tempted to quit doing this. I mean don't get me wrong this property has huge following, but why in gods name does there need to be a movie. It's already successful on TV and I feel that a movie could hurt it. But I know that it will make a lot of money no matter how good or bad the film is. Plus it'll be really weird when mothers take their daughters to the movie and grown men with no kids show up to see the movie eventhough they are Bronies. 



        As part of their giant announcement last week, Warner Bros. announced their entire slate of DC Comics-based films and the first picture we'll see on the big screen following Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is none other than Suicide Squad, to be helmed by Fury and End of Watch director David Ayer. Empire caught up with the director recently and asked him about the upcoming adaptation which he seems to be quite excited about.m"'Fury' whetted my appetite for a bigger canvas and this idea of world creation. You can do amazing things as a filmmaker if you have the proper tools, and those are time and money...I can say that it’s a Dirty Dozen with supervillains. Then I can ask the question, 'Does a movie really need good guys?'"

        Ayer went on to talk about his anticipation for getting started and diving head first into the world of comic books. "I love the passion [comic-book fans] have for these characters and these worlds. I think there's something incredible about the comic genre and technology has finally caught up with pen and ink to render these fantastic worlds in a way that feels believable and visceral to audiences. It's a secular religion in that regards. The mythology that these characters represent - the idea of them as fallen gods on Earth - is intriguing to me. I can't wait to start exploring those corridors."

        The line-up for "Task Force X" in the upcoming film is rumored to include the super strong Blockbuster, the self-replicating Multiplex, the speedster Jaculi, the illusion-casting Mindboggler, the original Captain Boomerang George Harkness, the animal mimicker Vixen, and Floyd Lawton aka Deadshot. A recent report indicated that Ryan Gosling, Tom Hardy, Margot Robbie and Will Smith had all been approached for roles in the film, though nothing is confirmed at this time. Suicide Squad is currently set for release on August 5, 2016.

        These are some really interesting comments. David Ayers is a talented and an amazing director (see Fury and End of Watch) and I think he is the perfect person for the film. To hear him say that he is a fan of comic books and that the film will be somewhat like The Dirty Dozen makes me excited for the film. Now this film is a risk for WB/DC simply because it's not that well known, but with Ayers at the helm it may not be bad.



        Armory Films, Cassian Elwes and Contend have announced today that they have joined together to produce the remake of Eli Roth's horror thriller hit Cabin Fever, with Travis Zariwny (Intruder) directing and Armory and Pelican Point Media financing. The film, to be reshot from the original 2002 version by Eli Roth and Randy Pearlstein, stars Gage Golightly ("Teen Wolf"), Dustin Ingram (Paranormal Activity 3), Samuel Davis ("From Dusk Till Dawn"), Matthew Daddario (Delivery Man) and Nadine Crocker (Deadgirl). Cabin Fever will be produced by Contend's Evan Astrowsky, (who also produced the original film with Roth) and Armory Films' Chris Lemole and Tim Zajaros.

        Cabin Fever follows in Eli Roth's original footsteps when a group of college students, who rent a cabin in the woods to do some partying, begin to fall victim to a flesh-eating virus and all hell breaks loose. The original premiered at the 2002 Toronto International Film Festival with Elwes involved in a massive bidding war for the film. This version will be shot from the exact same script that Roth directed 13 years ago, as opposed to going through a long, delayed studio development process. "Travis had an amazing vision for my original script, and as a scary movie fan I really wanted to see it. I almost see this like re-staging a play, and I'm excited to see what ideas Travis and the cast bring to it. They're all fans of the original and want to make a film that's a new classic and I believe they will," said Roth.Roth is best known for his work directing the original Cabin Fever as well as genre hits Hostel I and Hostel II and his latest effort, The Green Inferno, which premiered at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.

        In all honesty I'm actually excited for this. Look people are upset that the original film came out in 2002 and that it's stupid that the film is already being remade. Well I say that this is a brilliant idea. I mean the first film had a budget of $1.5 million and made $30 million worldwide and it has a 63% on rottentomatoes.com. So I think remaking the film is a great idea and it will look way better with today's effects.


        So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, which of these stories peaked your interest or was there another story that interested you? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                                        Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment