Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My Review of Love & Mercy

        So I recently watched Love & Mercy and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado...





Love & Mercy (poster).jpg

        In the 1960s, young songwriter and recording savant Brian Wilson (played by Paul Dano) finds himself in the midst of extraordinary success after scoring numerous hit records with The Beach Boys. Following a panic attack, he resigns from concert touring and ventures into the studio intent on creating "the greatest album ever made", Pet Sounds. Meanwhile, his grip on reality slowly loosens as he attempts to cope with the overwhelming voices in his head. Later, in the 1980s, a middle-aged Wilson (played by John Cusack) is shown to be a broken, confused man under the pharmacological and legal thrall of therapist Dr. Eugene Landy (played by Paul Giamatti). After meeting Wilson, Cadillac saleswoman Melinda Ledbetter (played by Elizabeth Banks) is determined to save him from Landy's manipulation.

       

        This was a really great movie. First off I want to say while I am not a huge and massive fan of The Beach Boys, I still love listening to their music. This film does tell an amazing, yet heartbreaking story. I really enjoyed the performances of Paul Dano who is simply one of the best actors in Hollywood and he doesn't get any recognition and that's a shame simply because he knocks every role out of the park. I really liked learning about Brain Wilson's life (some of which I didn't know whatsoever) and the way Dano portrays him makes you want to help Wilson, but you know you can't. Every time Paul Dano is on screen the film just goes to another level. My main problem with the film is John Cusack and all of the moments he has as an older Brian Wilson. I thought he was just wooden and was going through the motions and I just wasn't that interested in that part of Wilson's life and I don't think the scenes with him being older were necessary and it could've been explained in a text at the end of the movie instead and the film should've focused more on his younger days. Overall this film amazing as long as Paul Dano is on screen and it flows so much better than the parts with John Cusack. I give Love & Mercy and 8 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Love & Mercy, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comment section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment