Friday, March 7, 2014

My Top 10 Favorite Directors of All-Time

        We all have our own favorite films and we mostly only recognize/criticize the actors on screen. But in reality the main person to blame or congratulate on a movie being bad/good is the director. A directors job is to see that everything done behind or in front of the camera is perfect. With that being said I'm going to bring you my top 10 favorite directors of all-time and my 3 favorite films that they have directed. So without further ado...





10. Woody Allen 
Woody Allen - Kup.JPG


1. Hannah and Her Sisters
2. Annie Hall
3. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask)



9. Ben Affleck
Ben Affleck 2012.jpg

1. The Town
2. Argo
3. Gone Baby Gone



8. Judd Apatow
Judd Apatow 2012 Shankbone.JPG

1. The 40 Year-Old Virgin
2. Knocked Up
3. Funny People



7. Mel Brooks
MelBrooksApr10.jpg

1. Blazing Saddles
2. Robin Hood: Men in Tights
3. Spaceballs

6. Darren Aronofsky
Darren Aronofsky GIFF 2013.jpeg

1. The Wrestler
2. Black Swan
3. Requiem for a Dream



5. Martin Scorsese 
Martin Scorsese Cannes 2010.jpg

1. The Departed
2. Raging Bull
3. Gangs of New York



4. Francis Ford Coppola
Francis Ford Coppola 2011 CC.jpg

1. The Godfather Part 2
2. The Godfather
3. Apocalypse Now



3. Stanley Kubrick
Stanley Kubrick - WB promo.jpg

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. A Clockwork Orange
3. The Shining



2. Stephen Spielberg
Steven Spielberg Masterclass Cinémathèque Française 2 cropped.jpg

1. Jurassic Park
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark



1. Quinton Tarantino
Quentin Tarantino Césars 2011.jpg

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Django Unchained


        So ladies and gentlemen what do you think of my list and who are some of your favorite directors of all-time? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                                         Jonah Sparks

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jonah,

    I'm not sure if you remember me or not, but my mom has turned me onto your blog and I have to say that I've enjoyed reading some of your opinions on film. I'm a huge film aficionado myself so it's refreshing to see someone else with as much passion for the medium as me. I really appreciate your list of directors, too. I actually want to be a film director when I "grow up."

    While I like all of the directors you listed, the two standouts for me are Woody Allen and Mel Brooks. I'm glad you mentioned Hannah and Her Sisters - that's one of my absolute favorites of his, as well. I also loved Midnight In Paris - not sure if you've seen that one, but it was probably my favorite film of 2011. Having said that, though, I'm a long way from having seen even a fraction of his films. I mean, the guy averages one a year and he's as old as dirt, so it's kind of hard to catch-up.

    Mel Brooks is another favorite of mine. The first movie I ever saw of his was The Producers (the original) and it remains one of my absolute favorites to this day. Of course, the other classics are Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, but I even love his films that weren't considered as good as the rest.

    Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I appreciate your posts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I remember you man and I really appreciate it. That's awesome to hear man, I hope you do one day, for me I'm trying to get into the screenwriting business, so if you ever start directing maybe we can collaborate. Hannah and Her Sisters is a great film, but I'm not to keen on Midnight in Paris and I agree I've only seen about 6 or 7 of his films. For Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles is one of my top 5 films of all-time and Thanks man I really do appreciate the compliment.

      Delete