Wednesday, July 1, 2015

My Review of Magic Mike

        With Magic Mike XXL being released this weekend I thought it would be fitting to review its predecessor Magic Mike. So without further ado...





Magic Mike.jpg

        The film follows Mike (played by Channing Tatum) as he takes a young dancer called The Kid (played by Alex Pettyfer) under his wing and schools him in the fine arts of partying, picking up women, and making easy money.

       

        This was a surprisingly a great film. Now I will say that I wasn't the target audience for the film, but the reason why I wanted to see the film was because of Stephen Soderbergh who is stepping out of his comfort zone to direct a movie about male strippers and he absolutely knocks it out of the park. I really liked the performances in the film form both Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey (who got Oscar buzz for his performance). When they aren't dancing on stage they command the screen really well and they have great chemistry together. The supporting cast is great as well when they aren't on stage. Being a male I did feel uncomfortable watching the stripping scenes, but that's to be expected. My main big problem with the film was Alex Pettyfer because he's not meant to be a leading man in any film and I thought he buckled under the pressure and he was really boring. The film struggles with what type of film it wants to be bouncing around to so many different types of genres that it's really hard to follow. Overall this was a really great film, but not knowing what type of film it wants to be really brings the film down. I give Magic Mike an 8.5 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Magic Mike, what would you rate it, are you excited for Magic Mike XXL and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment