Thursday, April 16, 2015

Special Movie News Blog: 2nd Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Trailer Released

        Earlier today to help kick-off Star Wars Celebration, Director JJ Abrams and Producer Kathleen Kennedy closed out the opening ceremony by releasing the 2nd trailer to Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. So since a lot of movie news hasn't come out today due to everyone covering the event, I thought I would take a little time and talk about this new trailer. So without further ado...





Here is the new trailer



        This trailer is just absolutely awesome. For the longest time I've always said that the prequels never felt like Star Wars movies to me and my only hope for this film is that it would at least feel like a Star Wars movie and this trailer has done that for me. I've been waiting for them to show me a new trailer after having to wait 5 months. To really explain this trailer I'm going to have to go scene by scene.

        We can see what appears to be Daisy Ridley's character Rey speeding across the desert in the same speeder that she was in in the the first trailer and this is probably a continuation between the scenes with a crashed Star Destroyer in the background and a crashed X-Wing in the foreground. These are probably left over from the Death Star battle in Return of the Jedi.

        We then begin to hear a familiar speech to Star Wars fans in the form of a voice-over from Luke Skywalker explain his family's strength with the force. He begins it by saying "my father has it" and we see what is left of Vader's helmet that was burnt in the burial scene from Return of the Jedi. Then we hear Luke say "I have it" and we see R2-D2 in front of some sort of fire and a figure standing next to him and we can only speculate that it is Luke because of the right hand being mechanical. Now the theory I have come up with is that they are actually standing in front of a burial fire for Han because of what I've heard and what I've come up with on my own and that's that Han will die in the movie. They are burning Han and Luke tries to consul R2-D2 in the aftermath of Han's death. We then hear Luke say "my sister has it" and it appears to be an alien figure (rumored to be Max von Sydow's character) giving what appears to be Luke's lightsaber from Empire Strikes Back (I'm trying to figure out how it was found after Luke's hand was cut off in that film and the lightsaber went with it) to Daisy Ridley's character Rey. Then we hear Luke add a new line to the speech and he says "you have that power too". Me and a bunch of others have speculated that Luke has a kid or he could be talking about Rey who is rumored to be Han and Liea's daughter with the actual name of Rey Solo (her last name hasn't been revealed yet) and Luke is continuing the legacy of the Skywalker family.

        Then we get to see the X-Wing's in action and when I saw Oscar Issac's character screaming in the cockpit I felt the same way. Also it kind of shows his cockiness and if you watched the panel he was asked about the character and he said "he's the best pilot in the galaxy" so his character is going to be the new and younger version of Han Solo.

        We then get a bunch of quick shots of the film and the one that stands out is the one with Rey and Finn (John Boyega's character) running away from an explosion and the thing that Rey is carrying appears to be the staff of the ancient Darth Plagueis  and that could be a hint towards him appearing in the film. Plus we see a new logo behind the group of Stormtroopers (which look awesome) so there is probably a new faction taking over for the Empire. I also loved seeing the Chrome Stormtrooper which has been rumored to be Gwendoline Christie's character and if that's the case then she is going to be someone you don't want to mess with.

        Going back to the beginning of where I said it felt like a Star Wars film came in the next scenes when the Millennium Falcon is flying through the engine of a fallen Star Destroyer and that just got me jumping out of my seat pumping fist screaming that Star Wars is back. The way the trailer ended really hit home with Han saying "Chewie... we're home". I honestly began to cry because it meant that the characters were finally back in the Falcon and the fact that they are back for a new Star Wars movie.

        Overall we got a lot of new footage, but not enough to spoil the movie and this was definitely a tease and I love that. I'm going to watch this trailer over and over again (I'm on viewing number 50 at the time of this post) until the either the movie comes out r they release a new trailer which I expect to be released around August or September.
     
        So ladies and gentlemen what are some of your thoughts on the trailer, did it get you excited for the new movie and are you looking forward to Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment