Saturday, November 1, 2014

My Review of Nightcrawler

        So I recently watched Nightcrawler and I'm here to bring you my review? So without further ado...





Nightcrawlerfilm.jpg

        Lou Bloom (played by Jake Gyllenhaal), a driven young man desperate for work who discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism. Finding a group of freelance camera crews who film crashes, fires, murder and other mayhem, Lou muscles into the cut-throat, dangerous realm of nightcrawling -- where each police siren wail equals a possible windfall and victims are converted into dollars and cents. Aided by Nina played by Rene Russo), a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news, Lou thrives. In the breakneck, ceaseless search for footage, he becomes the star of his own story.

       

        I really enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I would. First off Jake Gyllenhaal gives the performance of his career and he could potentially receive an Oscar nomination for his work although it will be very difficult just to get the nomination in a year with such great leading male performances. I also liked Rene Russo and her back and forth with Gyllenhaal is spectacular. The film directed by Dan Gilroy (his directorial debut) really gives us an insight into the local news world and how cruel it can actually be in even the most gruesome moments. The film kept me on the edge of my seat and had me guessing what Louis's next move would be and some would call him an anti-hero or possibly the villain of the movie, but the film is so good that it lets us interpret that for ourselves. However the film was a nice constant pace and tone until the last 10 minuted of the movie where it left me really questioning the movie and it was like it was shoe-horned in. Overall the film is one of the best thriller films of the year and it has one of the best male performances of the year as well, but the ending left me disappointed. I give Nightcrawler an 8 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Nightcrawler, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment