Wednesday, November 11, 2015

My Review of Trumbo

        So I recently watched Trumbo and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado..........





Trumbo (2015 film) poster.jpg

        Dalton Trumbo (played by Bryan Cranston) was a Hollywood screenwriter who, in 1947, was jailed and blacklisted along with other artists for refusing to testify to the United States Congress regarding alleged Communist propaganda in Hollywood films.


        This is a really great movie. Coming from my perspective as a man who has wrote a few screenplays myself, this film interested me from the very beginning and I was not disappointed. Bryan Cranston was the perfect choice to play Dalton Trumbo and he really embraces his look and does a fine job of bringing the man to life. The performance is passionate and powerful enough for Bryan Cranston to shine and he absolutely deserves an Oscar nomination and to me he's a lock and it'll de disappointing is he isn't nominated. The story itself is really interesting because it dives into a time where everyone and their mother were being accused of being a communist (although most turned out not to be communists) and were immediately blacklisted from Hollywood. The supporting cast is just absolutely amazing with standout performances from Louis C.K. and John Goodman who both could earn Oscar nominations, but it is highly unlikely. Jay Roach also did a fantastic job of coming out of his comfort zone to director an amazing film like this and we could see more great film from him in the future. The one big bothersome thing about the film is that the dialogue is messy and it just doesn't' really flow well with the period the movie is set in and it tends to not mention other things that were going on at the time and it just didn't grasp the era like it should've. Overall this is a fantastic film with one of best performances of the year and while having one of the best stories of the year, it fails to capitalize on the bigger picture. I give Trumbo an 8 out of 10. 

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Trumbo, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment