Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Review of Selma

        So I recently watched Selma and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado.............





Selma poster.jpg

        Selma chronicles the tumultuous three-month period in 1965, when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (played by David Oyelowo) led a dangerous campaign to secure equal voting rights in the face of violent opposition. The epic march from Selma to Montgomery culminated in President Johnson (played by Tom Wilkinson) signing the Voting Rights Act of 1965, one of the most significant victories for the civil rights movement.

       

        This film is just simply amazing. I have to say this is a very powerful and emotional film and no matter what your feelings are towards this subject you will have the feels after watching this movie. The performances are just spectacular and the casting is spot on. David Oyelowo gives the performance of a lifetime and he really embraces the role of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and don't be surprised if he is nominated for Best Actor when the Oscar nominations come out next week. The film is just a great thing to see because a lot of the things that are currently going on in our country right now are displayed in this film and it shows how far we still have to go in our society. I expect this film to get a lot of Oscar nominations and it is certainly in contention for Best Picture right along with Boyhood and Birdman. The one tiny problem I have with the film is that it really does thrive on your emotional heartstrings and sometimes it's relies on those emotional moments a little too much. Overall though this is just a spectacular film and I think everyone should see this film. I give Selma a 9.5 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Selma, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment