Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Review of A Most Violent Year

        So I recently watched A Most Violent Year and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado...





A black and white photo of a male and female

        Set during the winter of 1981 (statistically one of the most crime-ridden of New York City's history), A Most Violent Year is a drama following the lives of an immigrant and his family as they attempt to capitalize on the American Dream, while the rampant violence, decay, and corruption of the day drag them in and threaten to destroy all they have built.

       

        This is a really great film. The film has an all-star cast and they all work so well together. The real standout of the cast is Oscar Issacs who proves once again why he is such a talented actor who has a really bright career ahead of him. I've seen a lot of people compare the film to The Godfather Part II is some aspects and I can honestly say I agree. Issacs controls the screen every time he is on it and the story is driven and carried through him. I also really liked the script and it was really thought out and done well and that's attributed to screenwriter/director/producer J. C. Chandor. I will say that while the film does compare to The Godfather Part II it comes no where to it in classic stature and the pace of the film is so slow that the film is boring at points and I thought the action in the film was out of place. Overall this is a really smart film with great performances, but it's high comparison's and slow pace just make the film disappointing. I give A Most Violent Year and 8.5 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of A Most Violent Year, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment