Monday, July 25, 2016

Comic-Con 2016 Review/ Weekend Movie News 7-22-16 to 7-24-16

        Well ladies and gentlemen Comic-Con 2016 has came and passed with a lot of great movie news and trailers so today I'm going to give the top headlines from this weekends events, but mainly from the Warner Bros. and Marvel Studios panels in Hall H So without further ado.............





San Diego Comic-Con International logo.svg

        Now for those of you that don't know what Comic-Con is I'm going to simply put it as nerd heaven for four days in San Diego. Its basically a convention with news about comic books science fiction/fantasy, film/television, horror, animation,anime, manga, toys, collectible card games, video games, and fantasy novels. This is gonna be a little different mainly because all of the big stories came from the Warner Bros./DC Panel and the Marvel Studios Panel, so I will bring you the top stories from both panels.

Warner Bros. Panel/DC Films Panel

        The panel kicked off with bringing all of the current DCU film universe which included the like of Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck and James Wan. Basically out of this, it was officially confirmed that Affleck will be directing a DC film and mostly likely a Batman solo film.

        The next piece of news came in the form of the first Wonder Woman trailer and I gotta say it looked pretty sweet. I love that the film is going to be a period piece because that fits Wonder Woman really well. We also got our first look at the Lasso of Truth and I did kinda geek out a little bit. I think Gal Gadot looks amazing and hopefully this film will quiet the rest of the haters that haven't stopped complaining about her. Here  is the trailer...




        Next we got our very first look at the Justice League film which was a little surprising considering the film doesn't come out until November 2017, but I like that we got something. That something has completely restore my faith in the DCU. While it was knocked down a little due to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, I am fully on board for the future. Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa stole the trailer and I think they are both going to do great as The Flash and Aquaman respectively. Here is the trailer...




        Next we got our final trailer for Suicide Squad and all I have to say is that I need this movie in my life right now. I'm not going to watch anything else because I'm already invested in the film, but this trailer was pretty neat. We got to see a lot of new footage and our first look at the villain who I can't quite make out just yet. Every character got their moment to shine and I feel that's how it is going to be in the film as well. Here is the trailer...




        Next we got our first full trailer for The Lego Batman film and I have to say I laughed quite a bit. I adored The Lego Movie and one of my favorite characters was Batman and the fact that Will Arnett is doing the voice again really excites me. Most of the laughs came from the fact that they made fun of Batman and unless you truly know about Batman, the jokes are hard to get. I think this film has a lot of potential and it just adds to the amazing year that 2017 is going to be in film. Here is the trailer...




        Now stepping away from comic book related films, Warner Bros. also released the first trailer for Kong: Skull Island and boy did I jump out of my chair. I'm a big fan of King Kong and this new incarnation of the character looks pretty big and mean, We didn't get a full reveal which is a great idea because you don't want to show your whole hand on the first go around. I also love the fact that it is going to take place during the Vietnam War which will add a lot more character to the film. Here is the trailer...




        Next we got the first trailer for King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. Now the interesting thing about this film is that it was originally supposed to come out this weekend and it just felt weird that we got the first trailer during it's original release weekend. As for the film itself, it looked like a Guy Ritchie film and that's not a bad thing. The film looks action packed and is going to be pretty fast paced. I think Charlie Hunnam is a perfect choice for King Arthur and I look for this film to be a sleeper hit next year.




        Finally we got a new trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The trailer showed us a lot of new footage and we got our first real look at Colin Ferrell as what looks to be the villain of the film. The visuals look pretty amazing and more gorgeous than I imagined. I've said before hat Eddie Redmayne is a great choice for the role and I think he is going to bring a lot to the role. y only complaint is that they are still using the Harry Potter theme and to be honest, this film needs to separate itself from those films as much as possible just so it doesn't always get compared to those films. Here is the trailer...




Marvel Studios

        Marvel Studios made it's return to San Diego Comic-Con after being absent last year and to start off they gave us a new logo which I think looks pretty great and it will get rid of the seizurerific logo they used to have. You can see the logo below.

Marvel Studios logo.jpg



        As for the news for the MCU, we first got a lot of new information about Black Panther. In this first film Micheal B. Jordan is going to play Killmonger and this going to be interesting since we've never seen him play a villain and I think him and Chadwick Boseman are going to have a lot of fn on screen together.



        Next we got the new poster and trailer for Doctor Strange. Both look absolutely amazing  and to be honest this might be the first MCU film I want to see in 3D. Now if you take LSD or smoke pot, this film might trip you out (kidding or am I?) Again Benedict Cumberbatch proves he was the perfect choice to play Stephen Strange. I'm really looking forward to seeing this film more than I thought I would it's all thanks to this trailer. Here is the poster and trailer...

Doctor Strange poster.jpg




        Next we got our first little look at Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was confirmed that this film is going to feel a lot like a John Hughes film and to me that's great because John Hughes's films are iconic in so many ways and I think Spider-Man is the perfect hero to take on that type of film. We also got confirmation that Vulture is going to be the main villain in the film, but no word on who will be playing Adrian Toomes, but all roads seem to be pointing towards Michael Keaton unless Keaton ends up playing Uncle Ben which also makes a lot of sense.



        Next we got a little look at Thor: Ragnarok and all it was a new logo and a few concept art pieces which showed a lot of neat things. The big stand out was that we are getting a little taste of Planet Hulk. Also it showed Hulk and Thor in gladiator armor and we might get to see a long extensive fight between the two. We'll get a lot more at next year's comic-con when it gets closer to the films release.



        Next we got some updated news about Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. One bit of news is that it is going to take place just a few months after the first film and that Groot hasn't fully grown back yet, but apparently in the footage revealed to the Hall H crowd (thanks Marvel for not showing footage to fans unlike DC) he is awesome and he might steal the film. Also Kurt Russell character was revealed to be Ego who is basically a living planet and it's going to be interesting to see how he plays into the universe.



        And finally we got confirmation about the casting of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. It is none other that Academy Award Actress Brie Larson. I think she is a great choice for the role and I think she is going to bring a lot of energy to the role. I love that Marvel continues to bring in so much talent for there films and that's why they are going to continue to be a force for years to come.


        So ladies and Gentlemen what do you think of the headlines, do any of these excite you and are you looking forward to these headlines coming to fruition? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment