Sunday, July 3, 2016

My Top 10 Most Anticipated films For the Second Half of 2016

        With the first half of the year over with, I thought it would be fitting to look forward to rest of 2016. With that being said I'm going to bring you my top 10 most anticipated films for the 2nd half of 2016. Now some films do not yet have posters or trailers, but I will update them as soon as they are released. So without further ado...





10. Doctor Strange- November 4th, 2016 Rating: PG-13
Benedict Cumberbatch as the Marvel Comics character Doctor Strange, holding his right hand in front of his face, with two fingers and thumb extended. A colorful spell is emanating from the palm. Marvel and "Doctor Strange" logos featured on the bottom, with the date, "11.4.16".

        The MCU is one of the greatest if not the greatest film franchises of all-time and this film just adds to the vast collection of films they've already made. Doctor Strange is going to be a completely different character and film that we've ever seen. Benedict Cumberbatch is the perfect choice for the character and I'm really excited to where this film takes the MCU for the near future.




9. Snowden- September 16th, 2016 Rating: 
 Snowden film poster.jpg

        This is a film that I have been looking forward to for a long time. Now I know some people hate Edward Snowden and what he did, but there are some who worship and thank him for what he did for the country as a whole. To see a film portrayal of the most wanted man in the history of the world is something that really fascinates me. Plus you have Oliver Stone behind the camera directing political themed films again and I near perfect look-alike in Joseph Gordon-Levitt.




8. Sausage Party August 12th, 2016 Rating R
An anthropomorphic sausage against a yellow background in a sexual pose

        Usually when Seth Rogen and his friends get together for a film, it ends up being one of the funniest films of the year. Now that you have them playing various food objects makes this film more appealing. The Red Band trailer that was released a few months ago might be the funniest movie trailer I've ever seen and hopefully that comedy carries over to the film. Wouldn't be great if this film was so good that it was nominated for Best Animated Feature, that would just pure icing on the cake.




7. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them- November 18th, 2016 Rating PG-13
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them poster.png

        I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter franchise and the fact that we are getting a semi spin-off film from that franchise is really exciting. Visiting that world again is something I've been wanting to go back to since the last Harry Potter film came out and I'm glad that we won't be getting most of the original cast again because this film needs to separate itself to a point from those films. Eddie Redmayne is a great actor and to having leading these new films for the next few years is exciting and it really changes up his career after winning an Oscar just last year.




6. The Magnificent Seven- September 23rd, 2016 Rating: PG-13
Magnificent Seven 2016.jpg

        People have often questioned why the western film genre has disappeared and this film might be the one to bring the genre back to the forefront of Hollywood. The original film is a complete masterpiece as well as the film that that film was a remake of. The cast of this film is simply amazing and it has one of my favorite directors Antoine Fuqua behind the camera and I'm just really excited for the film.




5. Assassin's Creed- December 21st, 2016 Rating PG-13
Assassin's Creed film poster.jpg

        I'm a huge fan of the video game franchise and the fact that there is going to be a film based off of the video game is really exciting for me. I love the choice of Michael Fassbender in the lead role and I love that they are going with a completely new character that we've never seen in the video games. The thing that worries me a little bit is the fact that video game films are usually pretty terrible, but the fact that Fassbender is reuniting with his director on Macbeth as well as Marion Coitllard who was in that film with him really gives me hope because that film was perfect and basically had the same type of feel as this film should have.




4. Star Trek Beyond- July 22nd, 2016 Rating: PG-13
USS Enterprise ship flying through the universe, with the film's title "Beyond" ,and the film's billing below.

        Not only am I Star Wars fan, but I'm also a Star Trek fan. Now to some people that's blasphemy, but who really cares. The two new films that came out really gave the franchise a breath of fresh air and all of the credit goes to JJ Abrams. This new cast is perfect for all of the roles and I think this film is going to be completely different that what are used to seeing now that Justin Lin is behind the camera instead of Abrams. It's also going to be a little heartbreaking watching Anton Yelchin on screen just a few weeks after his tragic passing. The addition of Idris Elba as the villain is a perfect casting decision and hopefully this film continues the upward trend of the Star Trek franchise.




3. The Accountant- October 14th, 2016 Rating: R
The Accountant (2016 film).png

        A film with a premise based on an assassin who has the cover of an accountant, sign me up. Ben Affleck has a career resurgence as of late his acting has improved so much thanks to him taking on different roles and also having some work behind the camera under his belt helps him when communicating with a director. The director of this film is Gavin O'Connor who is marvelous director and is coming off of Jane Got a Gun which I technically can't blame on him after all of the production issues that film had. This film seems like it's going to be super intense and we'll also get our first look of Ben Affleck and J.K. Simmons working together before they take in the solo Batman film together as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Commissioner James Gordon respectively.




2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story- December 16th, 2016 Rating: PG-13
Rogue One, A Star Wars Story poster.png

        Now you all know that I am a massive Star Wars fan and some of you all are probably shocked that this isn't number one. Well to be frank about it, just because I'm a massive fan doesn't mean it's always number one (see my top 10 favorite films of all-time). This film has me really excited because this is going to tell a story that I have been dying to see since the first Star Wars film came out. To actually see the Death Star plans get stolen and how the mission was planned pumps me up and the cast assembled is amazing and loaded with terrific talent and this film has a lot of potential to be great.




1. Suicide Squad- August 5th, 2016 Rating: PG-13
Suicide Squad (film) Poster.png

        Every person I talk to says that they are looking forward to this film more than anything else and to be honest I am to. This going to be DC's attempt at a Guardians of the Galaxy type of film and I think it's going to work well. We're going to see so many villains that fans have been dying to see on the big screen such as Harley Quinn and Deadshot. We also get a new Joker with Jared Leto and by the looks of the trailer and all of the behind scenes stuff I've heard, he might give Ledger and Nicholson and run for their money. David Ayer is a great director and I wouldn't have anyone else besides him behind the camera for what is going to be a crazy fun film to watch.

     

        So ladies and gentlemen what are some of your most anticipated films for the rest of the year and what do you think of my list? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                          Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment