Friday, January 1, 2016

My Top 10 Most Anticipated Films For the First Half of 2016

        2015 was an amazing year in film and 2016 has a lot of great films that could potentially make 2016 even better. Now this list will comprise of films that will be released between January 1st, 2016 and June 30th, 2016. With that being said I'm going to bring you my top most anticipated films of the first half of 2016. With this year being stacked full of amazing films., I'm also going to provide a list of honorable mentions. Now one film doesn't have a poster or trailer yet, but when they get released I will update this blog asap. So without further ado...





Honorable Mentions: Jane Got a Gun, Zoolander 2, Knight of Cups, Zootopia, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, Snowden, The Nice Guys, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, The Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2.



10. The Jungle Book (2016)- April, 15th 2016 Rating: Not Yet Rated
The Jungle Book (2016).jpg

        I wasn't too excited for this film and I was actually more excited for Andy Serkis's version coming out next year, but the first trailer that was released for the film was absolutely breathtaking and the film looks gorgeous. Another thing really interesting about this film is that it was filmed in all in one location on a studio lot in Hollywood. Yes that's right, everything you see in the film besides the human characters is all CGI green/blue screen. It's a step forward in technology and I'm glad someone like Jon Favreau is directing the film and leading the charge.





9. Independence Day: Resurgence- June 24th, 2015 Rating: PG-13
Independence-Day-2-poster.jpg

        When I first heard about this film, I was immediately against it mainly because the story they had presented to begin with sounded just absolutely stupid and the title they had went with originally was ridiculous. After seeing the trailer, I'm more than excited to see this film because the plot is just so interesting and I'm really intrigued to see how this universe has developed in the 20 years since the first film. Now some complain that they won't see it because Will Smith isn't in the film and to that I say Will Smith wasn't the only one that made the film what it was. Yeah he had a few cool lines, but other than that what did he do? Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman's characters were much more important and to me since they are back, then I'm ok with Will Smith not returning.





8. Finding Dory- June 17th, 2015 Rating: PG
Finding Dory.jpg

        Finding Nemo is easily considered one of the best animated films of all-time and it developed a great universe and characters and if there was one character who deserved a spin-off film it would be Dory. She was the real standout character of the first film and we don't know much about her at all and this film will do that for us. I think the film has a lot of potential and I'm just looking forward to getting to know more about Dory and the great is that the entire cast is coming back for this film mainly Ellen DeGeneres who is key for who Dory truly is.





7. Hail, Caesar!- February 5th, 2015 Rating: R
Hail, Caesar! Teaser poster.jpg

        The Coen brothers are the best directing/writing duo working in the business and any film they do togehter  is pretty much a great film and this looks no different. It's going to be a great throwback to 1950's Hollywood when film was at it's peak and the cast involved in the film is just magnificent. Now the trailer does give off a trait that has been in virtually every Coen Brother script and that's that someone gets kidnapped in some fashion, but hey if isn't broke, then don't fix it.  The film can be an Oscar contender and it'll be interesting to if the film is successful enough for it to carry on as a possible Oscar contender.





6. Warcraft- June 10th, 2015 Rating: PG-13
Warcraft Teaser Poster.jpg

        This is a film I've been looking forward to for a long time. Now it isn't because I was a massive fan of World of Warcraft, but the fact that this could be the film to put video game movies on the map. Video game films have been hit and miss (mostly miss) and none have been successful enough to really put any faith into any projects. This film has some great potential and director Duncan Jones is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this film and if it's successful then video game films have a bright future ahead.





5. X-Men: Apocalypse- May 27th, 2015 Rating: PG-13
Apocalypse ,the film's villain holds a human skull with the film's title below and the slogan "Only the Strong Survive" upon him.

        X-Men: Days of Future Past was one of my favorite films of 2014 and it left me wanting more of this type of X-Men movie and I think we'll get that with this film. The Age of Apocalypse storyline is one of the most fascinating comic book storylines in history and the fact that we'll be getting some bits and pieces of that storyline gets me so excited. Now from the first moment we saw Apocalypse, people have complained about the look of him and at first he did look a little cartoonish, but the most recent trailer really peaked my interest and Apocalypse looks great in my opinion and I think Oscar Issac will do a great job with the character and I'm happy to see another X-Men film hit the big screen.





4. Captain America: Civil War- May 3rd, 2015- Rating PG-13
Captain America Civil War poster.jpg

        Now there is a good reason why the film is so low on my list. While I like what Marvel has done in the past and this film looks fantastic, but I'm tired of putting a Marvel movie at number 1 or 2 on my list and after Age of Ultron (which was a good film), I don't want to set my hopes too high and not have my expectations be diminished. as for the story I'm glad we are going to see the Civil War storyline on the big screen and while it might not be a true adaptation there will be some bits and pieces sprinkled in and I'm just looking forward to seeing Spider-Man in a MCU film.





3. Triple 9 February 26th, 2015 Rating: R
Triple 9 poster.jpg

        This film has come completely out of nowhere and it easily became one of my most anticipated films of the year. Now I've only seen the one trailer that's been released, but that trailer sold me on the film and the cast in the film speaks for itself and they all look simply amazing. John Hillcoat is a fantastic director and his previous two films (The Road and Lawless) are two of my favorite films and I'm really looking forward to this film and hopefully it doesn't disappoint me like my choice for last year's film of Chappie. I don't know if my brain can take that kind of pain.





2. Deadpool- February 12th, 2015 Rating: R
Deadpool poster.jpg

        Not only have I been looking forward to this film, but every comic book fan in the world has been looking forward to this film. Deadpool is one of the most unique and different characters in comic book history and he'll be a great change-up to the current superhero trend. Ryan Reynolds is doing something that not a lot of actors get to do and that's to redeem themselves after a disaster film like X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Now Ryan Reynolds was great as Wade Wilson in that film, but the studio really screwed him with making that films version of Deadpool have his mouth shut. I'm happy that Reynolds gets to show the true version of Deadpool that we deserve.





1. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice- March 25th, 2015 Rating: PG-13
Batman v Superman poster.jpg

        Was there any doubt in your minds that this film wouldn't be number 1? This will be the year of the comic book film as we have 7 films coming out this year and while this film won't kick things off, it will be the biggest film of the year. This is something that fans have been wanting to see for a very long time and the fact that we'll get Batman and Superman on screen together is just mind-blowing and my inner child is geeking out right now just thinking about the film. The film comes out in March as we star the blockbuster season a little earlier and it'll be a great birthday present coming just 3 weeks after that day for myself.      

     

        So ladies and gentlemen what are some of the movies you are looking forward to in the first half of 2016 and what do you think of my list? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment