Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2014 So Far

        Well ladies and gentlemen we are closely approaching the halfway point of the year and I thought I would go ahead and give my top 10 films of 2014 so far. So without further ado...





10. How to Train Your Dragon 2
A brown haired boy, holding a helmet by his side, his friends and a black dragon behind him. Dragons are flying overhead.

        What can I say about this film. It has a lot of of stunning visuals for an animated film and it also has a great story that even tops the first film in the franchise. It has the potential to not not only be nominated but win Best Animated Picture at The Oscars next year.





9. Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Mr Peabody & Sherman Poster.JPG

        This was a complete surprise to me. When I first heard about it I wasn't to thrilled and I expected the film to fail. But to my surprise it was actually a great animated film and it did justice to 1960's animated short. Like How to Train Your Dragon 2 it also has the potential to not only be nominated but win Best Animated Feature at The Oscars.      





8. Neighbors
A man carrying a baby, standing beside a younger man holding a beer, in front of a picket fence.

        This film was just absolutely hilarious. After coming of the heels of another smash comedy Seth Rogen strikes gold again and gives us one of the best comedies of the decade. Zac Efron showed that he can act and hold his own against Seth Rogen. Overall it was just a great film.




7. The Fault in Our Stars
Movie poster featuring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort in character

        Going into this film I heard some pretty great things about so it peaked my interest but I thought it would be another sappy love story. But like I was do I admitted I was wrong. Shailene Woodley showed the world what I already knew and that's that she can act. Her performance is deserved of an Oscar nomination as well as Laura Dern. This is one of the films that I think could be nominated for Best Picture at The Oscars as well




6. The Invisible Woman
The Invisible Woman poster.jpg

        This was a smalle sleeper for me. It marked the directorial debut of Ralph Fiennes and he had a great first outing. The film is thought provoking and it reveals a lot of secret information about one of the greatest authors in history.





5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Grand Budapest Hotel Poster.jpg

        This was another surprise for me. I'm a huge fan of Wes Anderson's films simply because they tell great stories and they have a lot of dark humor. This film right has an all-star cast that all give great performances and this is another film that could be nominated for Best Picture at The Oscars.





4. Noah
Noah2014Poster.jpg

        I know this film caused a lot of controversy but I don't care. Look the story of Noah is really short in the Bible so some things were going to have to created to help make a movie. The film had a lot of great visuals and excellent cinematography. It also has great performances from Russell Crowe and Emma Watson.




3.The Lego Movie
A construction worker Lego figure running away from a bright light, with other Lego characters running alongside him.

        When I first heard about the film I thought it was going to be horrible and it turned out to be one of my favorite films of the year. Not only is this a great animated film, it is also a great film in general. The film brought out the kid in me as I used to play with Lego's and it tells a great story. The voice cast in the film is also magnificent and the film has some visuals and cinematography possibly the best in an animated film ever.




2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America The Winter Soldier.jpg

        This film was flat out spectacular. It had the feel of a 1970's political thriller and it had a lot of great action. In my opinion it is the best Marvel Studios movie made to date (yes better than The Avengers) and it will be very tough to beat. It was in contention for my favorite film of the year that is until the next film on my list came out.





1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men Days of Future Past poster.jpg

        Not only is this my favorite film of the year but it is now in my top 15 favorite films of all-time. Look it has everything you could want in a film it has great action, story, acting camerawork, visuals and so many other things. It has the potential to get a lot of buzz come Oscar season as I  believe even with the films coming out in the second half of the year, that this film has a chance to be the first comic-book film to be nominated for Best Picture. Right now it sits at the top of my list and eventhough there are a lot of great films yet to come out, this one looks to be sitting pretty for the top spot of the entire year.





        So ladies and gentlemen what are some of your favorite films of the year so far and what do you think of my list? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                                        Jonah Sparks 

No comments:

Post a Comment