Saturday, July 25, 2015

My Review of Mr. Holmes

        So I recently watched Mr. Holmes and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado...





Mr. Holmes poster.jpg

        In 1947, an aging Sherlock Holmes (played by Sir Ian McKellan) returns from a journey to Japan, where, in search of a rare plant with powerful restorative qualities, he has witnessed the devastation of nuclear warfare. Now, in his remote seaside farmhouse, Holmes faces the end of his days tending to his bees, with only the company of his housekeeper (played by Laura Linney) and her young son, Roger (played by Milo Parker). Grappling with the diminishing powers of his mind, Holmes comes to rely upon the boy as he revisits the circumstances of the unsolved case that forced him into retirement, and searches for answers to the mysteries of life and love - before it's too late.

       

        This was a really great film to watch. It was different take on the character of Sherlock Holmes and it's a side that we have never really seen either in film or on television. I thought Ian McKellan was the perfect choice to play the character and his performance is worthy of an Academy Award nomination becasue he is just that good. I also really liked the twists and turns that the film took and while it wasn't your typical action/adventure version, it was still pleasantly entertaining. The supporting cast was terrific well and they make the film more well-rounded. The film does move pretty slowly and at times I was missing the action and adventure plot points and scenes that I am accustomed to and that made the film a little boring. Overall this was a really interesting take on the character and the performances are spectacular and top-notch, but the film was a little too boring for my taste. I give Mr. Holmes a 9 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Mr. Holmes, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment