Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My Review of Jimi: All Is by My Side

        So I recently watched Jimi: All Is by My Side and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado...





Jimi: All Is by My Side

        Covering a year in Jimi Hendrix (played by Andre Benjamin aka Andre 3000)'s life from 1966-67 as an unknown backup guitarist playing New York's Cheetah Club to making his mark in London's music scene up until his Monterey Pop triumph, the film presents an intimate portrait of the sensitive young musician on the verge of becoming a rock legend.

       

        This film was pretty disappointing. It's not really like most biopics in which you see the person's childhood, how they got started, the height of their popularity, their downfall and ultimately their death and this film mainly focuses on a short period of Hendrix's life. That part really disappointed to me in the sense that Jimi Hendrix had a very interesting life and it would have been nice to see his entire life be put into perspective. I'll also say that the script and dialogue is pretty weak and that's disappointing because the script comes from John Ridley (who just won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for 12 Years a Slave which was amazing). The film also hurts by not having access to any of Hendrix's songs (due to Hendrix's family not wanting to give up the rights to the songs). I will say that the one bright spot of the film s the performance of Andre 3000 and he takes the role and he makes it his own. In all honesty the film was going to be a misfire from the start and you can really tell. Overall the film suffers from everything you imagine but has a stellar lead performance. I give Jimi: All Is by My Side a 3 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Jimi: All Is by My Side, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment