Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My Review of Far from the Maddening Crowd

        So I recently watched Far from the Maddening Crowd and I'm here to bring you my review. So without further ado...





Far from the Madding Crowd poster.jpg

        In Victorian England, the independent and headstrong farm owner Bathsheba Everdene (played by Carey Mulligan) attracts three very different suitors: Gabriel Oak (played by Matthias Schoenaerts), a sheep farmer; Frank Troy (played by Tom Sturridge), a reckless Sergeant; and William Boldwood (played by Michael Sheen), a prosperous and mature bachelor.

       

        This was a really nice little movie. The big thing that stands out the most is the performance of Carey Mulligan who just shows once again how talented she is and I'm very surprised she hasn't won an Oscar yet and this could be a role that if it is something the Academy will remember then she garner another nomination. The film is also very gorgeous to look at and to be honest I'm a sucker for Victorian style films (don't ask why). now this is the 4th time the novel has been adapted into a movie and I haven't seen the previous films, but I can probably bet that this is the best adaption of the book so far. I also really loved the performances by the three male actors led mostly by Michael Sheen. I will say the romances between Mulligan and her three male suitors are believable, but the film becomes so cliched that it takes you out of the movie. Overall this is a nice little film and while it does have some minor cliches it still stands out as one of the best romance films that I've seen in a long time. I give Far from the Maddening Crowd an 8.5 out of 10.

        So ladies and gentlemen what did you think of Far from the Maddening Crowd, what would you rate it and what did you think of my review? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment