Thursday, May 7, 2015

Editorial: How My Rating System Works

        As a movie reviewer, I have to give a score to rate every movie based on how good or bad a film is to me personally. I've been doing this for almost two years which is crazy and I couldn't have done it without the support of you guys. I have gotten a lot of questions after several of the films I review and the one I get asked the most is "how can you give this movie a 3 when it is clearly a 10". My answer to that is that we have different tastes, you saw something you like about the film and I didn't see those same things and to be honest all film is subjective so everyone has their own opinion of a film. So that's part of the reason why I am currently in the middle of hosting my very own movie madness bracket and I love seeing everyone vote for a certain film and give their opinion on them. As I said before I get the question how do I personally rate a movie and I thought I would take some time and explain my rating scale to you all. So without further ado...


NOTE: Every film I see always starts off as a 10 and I change the score of the film as it goes along. 


10 - This means that I personally think it is a near perfect film. Now while I do give 10's to movies, it doesn't necessarily mean that I put the film on the same pedestal as the all-time classic films (i.e. Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather etc.). I give a film a 10 for several reasons. One being that I had an absolute blast watching the film. Another is that I can barely find any flaws in the film . The final reason is the re-watch ability, meaning to me personally, I can see myslef watching the film over and over again and not get bored.

9.5 - This is one rating I hate giving. I say that because it was one thing away from being a 10. Whether I didn't like a certain performance, the story, an action scene, the pace, etc. it needed to have just a little bit more and it would be a 10. Pretty much it's small nitpicking stuff.

9 - This rating means that there is at least one major problem in the film that didn't sit well with me whatsoever It could also mean that this is a film that I may watch a couple more times in the future, but it's not something that I'll be begging to watch again.

8.5 -  This (to go along with the 9 and 9.5 rating) rating means that along with the one major problem I had with the film combines with at least one small minor nitpick of the movie that I didn't like.

8 - This rating pretty much says that I had a couple of problems with the movie, but the majority of the film is really solid and the good out-weighs the bad.

7.5 - To go along with the 8.5 and 9.5 rating. The film to me has a few big problems and a couple of minor ones that don't necessarily take me out of the film, but the flaws are pretty obvious, but the film is still pretty decent

7. This rating pretty much means there a lot of obvious flaws, but the good qualities are so good that you can look over the obvious flaws for a little while, but not too long.

6.5 - This rating means that while the good qualities make you look over the glaring major bad parts of a film, there are still some minor things that stood out that made the film worse for me.

6 - This rating to me (along with the next one) determines whether or not the film has the potential to land of my worst or best of the year. On rottentomatoes.com, the number they use to determine whether or not the film is fresh is 60%. Once you go below that, then you are considered rotten and to me if you are a rotten film then you don't have any business being in my best films of the year, but it is more likely to end up on the worst of the year.

5.5 - This rating is another one I hate giving. Like I said before if I give a film a score lower than a 6 then it has the possibility to end up on my worst of the year list.

5 - This rating has a simple explanation. I feel like for every good part of a film that I can name, I always remember a bad part of the film. Both weigh each other out and it pushes me towards the middle of the scale.

4.5 - This rating is pretty much the complete opposite of the 6.5 rating. There is quite a few good qualities, but the bad ones sometimes make you look over them , but there are a few minor things that just made the film bad for me.

4 - This rating is when I see small number of good things, but there is a lot more bad in the films that just completely overtakes the quality and the filmgoing experience.

3.5 - This is the rating where  I see a few good things both big and small, but the major flaws in the film overshadow both the major and minor good things, to where I see minor things wrong with the film to go along with the obvious flaws.

3 - This is a rating I give to a lot of disappointing movies simply because I was really looking forward to the film and it ended up being bad. There are some things that you can take away from the film that are good, but there's just not enough for me to like about it.

2.5 - This is were the good qualities are just completely overshadowed, but you can still see minor things that you can enjoy about the film.

2 - This rating pretty much says that there are a couple of really strong point in the film, but there is a lot of bad surrounding it, that you have to really pay attention to find the good qualities.

1.5 -  This rating is where there are a lot of bad qualities and not a lot of redeeming ones, but there is at least one or two qualities that stand out to me along with a couple of minor ones.

1 - This rating is where I can find at least one redeemable thing about the film. The rest of it however just as well may not exist to me and I'm fine with that.

0.5 - This is a rating where nothing major in the film is good, but I can find minor qualities that I like where I can may be watch the film one more time in my life.

0 - I get asked quite often, how can I give a film a zero. Well to be quite frank, to me the films that get this rating are some of the worst filmgoing experiences of my life. Nothing stands out about the film and it has no re-watch ability and nor do I ever want to see the film again for the rest of my life.

        Like I said before all film is subjective and we all have different scales, so it's just a matter of opinion. Also I want to say sorry for saying "this rating" a lot,  and I probably repeated myself but I'm not the greatest English guy in the world.

        So ladies and gentlemen what do you think or my scale and how do you rate movies? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment