Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My Top 10 Most Anticipated Films For the First Half of 2017

        2016 was a decent year in film and 2017 has a lot of great films that could potentially make 2017 even better. Now this list will comprise of films that will be released between January 1st, 2017 and June 30th, 2017. With that being said I'm going to bring you my top most anticipated films of the first half of 2017. So without further ado...





10. The Fate of the Furious- April 14th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
F8 teaser poster.jpg

        Ok I know exactly what you are thinking, why do these movies keep getting made? The answer come in the form of the previous film making over $1.5 billion and that automatically tells a studio that you as an audience member want more. The trailer for the film was intense and it had a lot of nice action spots as well as revealing a huge twist. I'm very curoius how the twist plays out, but my gut feeling tells me that she is Dom's long lost sister, but I could be totally wrong and I probably will be. I'm looking forward to shoivng popcorn down my throat and get excited about another Rock v Jason Statham fight as well as an awesome team-up.




9. Alien: Covenant- May 19th, 2017 Rating: R
Alien Covenant Teaser Poster.jpg

        If you are an Alien fan then this is the film you have been waiting for. Now while Prometheus was supposed to be the only Alien prequel, Ridley Scott realized that he screwed up in saying that it wasn't an Alien prequel and didn't try as hard. This time around it looks as if we are going back to the original 1979 film which was a pure horror film and I'm interested to see how this will tie into the rest of the universe. ow we know Michael Fassbender is back so it will connect to Prometheus, but I'm curious to see if we somehow get a little nod towards the first Alien film.




8. Power Rangers (2017)- March 24th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Power Rangers (2017 Official Theatrical Poster).png

        As a child one of my favorite things growing up was Power Rangers and for about 6 or 7 years I would watch it every time it was on tv and I would watch the two previous films on repeat and it just helped me grow my love for the franchise as a whole. I've dying to see a modern take on the Power Rangers with an actual budget and technology that won't make it feel too campy. I love the fact Bryan Cranston and Elisabeth Banks signed on for this because they bring some legitimacy to the film and I'm intrigued to see them as both Zordon and Rita Rupulsa. I love the cast and going with a lot of unknown actors was the way to go and hopefully this film will be decent enough to where it won't ruin my childhood.




7. John Wick: Chapter Two February 10th, 2017 Rating: R
John Wick Chapter Two.png

        Two years ago a trailer was released for a Keanu Reeves action film set to come out just 3 weeks later and we were all surprised at how good it was and the film was even better. A man getting revenge for the murder of his dog sounds ridiculous, but it worked so well because it was full of action and it didn't take itself too seriously. This film looks even better than the first film and it looks as if no puppies will be killed in this film. I'm glad to see Keanu Reeves back on the big screen and I honestly feel that this franchise can go on for quite awhile.




6. The Lego Batman Movie- February 10th, 2017 Rating: PG
The Lego Batman Movie PromotionalPoster.jpg

        I think it's safe to say that we all loved The Lego Movie and it really proved a lot of doubters wrong on how good it was actually going to be. One of the best parts of the film was Will Arnett voicing Batman and giving him his own film is a pretty brilliant idea. There are so many journeys you can tell in this medium with the character I'm excited to see which adventure this film will go on. Now my only concern is introducing a lot of characters in one film and not having a clear direction. The cast us great and the animation looks amazing and I hope this film can build off of the success of The Lego Movie.




5. Wonder Woman- June 2nd, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Wonder Woman (2017 film).jpg

        For the longest time we've been waiting for a female led superhero film as well as a Wonder Woman film and we finally get that in June. The DCEU has taken a big hit in the past year with both Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad being critical bombs and it's starting to lose a lot of steam. However that all goes away if this film is successful and I honestly think it will be. Patty Jenkins is a terrific director and I think she is the perfect choice to direct this film and hopefully the DCEU can get back on track.




4. Kong Skull Island- March 10th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Kong Skull Island SDCC16.jpg

        In 1962 we were treated to the greatest movie monsters face off in an epic battle and for the longest time we have wanted to see a modern take on that epic battle. Now while this isn't that film, this film is a prelude to that epic battle. It was announced in the Fall of 2015 and ever since that day anticipation has been building and this film will continue that. I love the fact that it's set in the 1970's and it has a lot of nods to other classic films and I love that this isn't going to be the King Kong film where he climbs the Empire State Building and that we are going to get more of these films as long as it is successful.




3. Beauty and the Beast (2017)- March 17th, 2017 Rating: PG
Beauty and the Beast 2017 poster.jpg

        If there has ever been a better cast film then I'd like you to show me which film it is because this film might have the best cast ever. Disney has been hit and miss with there live-action film adaptations, but I think this will probably be the best one yet. Bill Condon is a great director and even if I hate the Twilight saga, the last two films weren't that as bad as the rest of the franchise ans it's becasue of him. He's also done well with musicals as he's done films like Chicago and Dreamgrils so he is perfect for the film. Alan Menkin (who created the music for the original 1992 film) is back for this film with a lot the same songs with some brand new ones and I'm excited to see where they fit into the film. If this film is a disaster, then I don't know how mad I'll be going forward with Disney live-action adaptations.




2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2- May 5th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
GotG Vol2 poster.jpg

        When it was first announced that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be apart of the MCU, a lot of people were confused as to who these guys were and why they were going to be apart of this franchise. We were all shocked at how good the film was and how much fun it ended up being. All of the characters are lovable as can be. This film looks to be on a much bigger scale and it's having to build towards the Infinity War films and I'm really looking forward to Baby Groot being in action and how this builds on the future of the MCU.





1. Logan- March 3rd, 2017 Rating: R
Logan 2017 poster.jpg

        As a comic book fan, the film I've wanted to see the most was Batman v. Superman and we got that, then next up was Deadpool and we finally got that film. Next on my list is an R-rated Wolverine film and we are finally getting that. Another thing I've wanted to see is a film based off of the video game The Last of Us and it looks like while that actual film develops, this will be the closest thing we get to it for the foreseeable future. The trailer for this film was just amazing and the Johnny Cash version of Hurt playing of over it just really puts everything in perspective and with this being the last time Hugh Jackman will be Wolverine, it's going to be emotional seeing Jackman retire from the character as ride off into the sunset with what might be one of the most violent films of the year.

        So ladies and gentlemen what are some of the movies you are looking forward to in the first half of 2017 and what do you think of my list? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                           Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment