Sunday, July 2, 2017

My Top 10 Most Anticipated films For the Second Half of 2017

        With the first half of the year over with, I thought it would be fitting to look forward to rest of 2017. With that being said I'm going to bring you my top 10 most anticipated films for the 2nd half of 2017. Now some films do not yet have posters or trailers, but I will update them as soon as they are released. So without further ado...





10. Logan Lucky August 18th, 2017 Rating: R
Logan Lucky.png

        Heist films are some of my favortie films and Stephen Soderbergh is one of my favorite directors and when putting those two together you automatically have me hooked. The trailer for this film was absolutely hilarious and it looks like Soderbergh is returning to form and going back to his days directing the Ocean's Eleven franchise. The cast for this film is simply remarkable and seeing Daniel Craig in a role we're not used to seeing him in is something I'm very intrigued to see. I hope this film is a success and Soderbergh doesn't go back into retirement becasue we need his style of filmmaking in our lives just to change the pace a little.




9. Thor: Ragnarok November 3rd, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Thor Ragnarok poster.jpg

        As you all know I'm a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and this is just another chapter in that universe and one of the last films to come out before The Avengers: Infinity War hits theaters in May of next year. Thor is one of my favorite comic book characters and the fact we are getting a Thor vs. Hulk/Planet Hulk esque film really gets me excited. One thing that is really great to see is an actress of Cate Blanchett's stature is in the film and she looks absolutely terrifying and I cannot wait to see her in this film.




8. IT-September 8th, 2017 Rating: R
It (2017) logo.jpg

        As some of you know, one of my favorite horror films is the two part miniseries It that debuted in 1990 and the book version of this film is one of few books I'm actually never been able to put down because I was so enthralled with the plot and concepts. The fact we are getting a modern version of the story is so appealing to a lot of people and the fact it's going to focus mainly on the kids and if successful, the second part will focus on the kids as adults. Hopefully we can see more the scenes from the book that were very important in the book that got cut out of the miniseries.




7. Spider-Man: Homecoming July 7th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Spider-Man Homecoming poster.jpg

        Now some of you may be wondering why the film is so low and to be honest it's becasue the other six films are films I'm looking forward too much more than this. One reason why is because this is our third attempt at a Spider-Man film franchise, but this looks like it could be the start of a great one. Tom Holland seems like the perfect choice to play the character and the fact we're even going to get Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man to help build the bridge to the MCU for Spider-Man. I love that the Vulture is the villain because it's a villain we haven't seen yet and I'm very interested in how Michael Keaton will portray him.




6. Kingsman: The Golden Circle September 22, 2017 Rating: R
Kingsman The Golden Circle.jpg

        Some of the best films out there are the ones that come out of nowhere and the first film was one of those films. It had great action, great comedy and a pretty interesting plot. Another thing that was really great is that the film was self-aware and now that we get introduced into an American version of the Kingsman. I'm also interested in seeing how the bring back Colin Firth into the mix after his character died in the first film. Hopefully we don't get the same plot as the first one and we actually build upon the mythos of The Kingsman.




5. Blade Runner 2049 October 6th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Blade Runner 2049 logo.png

        Like most films on this list, you know that I'm fans of the franchises they are apart of and Blade Runner is one of those films. The fact we are getting a sequel 35 years late is absolutely awesome and the fact that it still feels like we are in the last film, but with a few updates just makes you feel at home. One of my favortie things of the original film was the score from Vangelis and I'm glad we are getting an updated version from Johann Johannsson gets me pumped up. Harrison Ford is back to reprise his role and he's going to be partnering with Ryan Gosling and that seems like a very unstoppable duo in a film. This new group of actors in the film seem like perfect fits for the franchise and I'm just looking forward to seeing how much more we get to find out in this universe.




4. Dunkirk July 21st, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Dunkirk Film poster.jpg

        One of my favorite directors is Christopher Nolan and anytime he has a film coming out, I immediately get excited becasue I know it is going to be something special. The fact he is tackling World War II is fascinating and it's shedding light on an event that not a lot of people know about and those types of films that do that  are special for that reason. I love the cast and I'm very interested to see how Harry Styles (of One Direction) is used in this film and who knows maybe this could launch a different avenue for him besides music.




3. Justice League November 17, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Justice League film poster.jpg

        Once again if you know me, you know I'm a fan of DC films and if you forced me to choose then I would take the DCEU over the MCU everyday and everytime. The fact we are getting to see all of these characters together on the big screen together is a nerds dream and the fact it's only months away makes it even more real for myself. After the success of Wonder Woman, hopefully this film can continue the momentum for the DCEU and press on to greater things down the line. The film does have a cloud of darkness over with the whole Zack Snyder situation and I'm really looking for ward to see him knock this film out of the park.





2. War for the Planet of The Apes July 14, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Caesar, with a shotgun and Nova behind his back, Maurice, and Luca on horses face a human army and turncoat apes with the film's logo and "Witness the End July 14" at the bottom.

        If you know me, then you'll know I'm one of bigger fans of this new Planet of the Apes trilogy and I'm also a massive supporter of Andy Serkis getting an Oscar nomination for his portrayal as Caesar in this franchise. This film looks to be absolutely intense and I'm glad we're finally going to see the major events that lead up to the events of the Original 1968 film. There are a few new characters in this film that look really intriguing and I'm excited to learn how they play into the overall film. Hopefully this film will help Andy Serkis get that coveted Oscar nomination because he absolutely is a guy that deserves to be honored.




1. Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi- December 15th, 2017 Rating: PG-13
Star Wars The Last Jedi.jpg

        I mean is this a shock to anyone? You all know how much I love Star Wars and to be quite honest a Star Wars film is always going to be on any of my anticipated list for any year. I really enjoyed The Force Awakens and I'm really excited to see what The Last Jedi has in store for us all. Rian Johnson is taking over the director's chair from JJ Abrams and I personally think he is going to help take this franchise to all new heights and I'm looking forward to Mark Hamill actually being in a Star Wars film with a lot of dialogue compared to the 1 small scene he had in The Force Awakens. I'm ready to dive deeper in the Star Wars mythology and December can't get here soon enough




        So ladies and gentlemen what are some of your most anticipated films for the rest of the year and what do you think of my list? Let me know in the comments section below and let your voice be heard.

                                                                                                                          Jonah Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment